Whenever you leave your device unattended you should observe security best practices and lock it so that unauthorised people cannot gain access.
Windows Hello is a secure way to unlock your Windows 10 device using personal information, in this case facial recognition. It makes life easier to sit down at your device and have it unlock without having to type a password.
Here’s how to set it up.
- Log in to Windows as yourself, go to Start and type in Settings.
- Select Accounts.
- From the left-hand menu, select Sign-in Options.
- In order to use Windows Hello Face you will first have to set a PIN (Personal Identification Number). So, if you haven’t done this already, from here set a PIN.
- Remember, or securely store, your PIN. It’s important to have access to it, if needed! It is best to use password management software to generate a secure PIN and remember it.
- Click on Windows Hello Face and follow the instructions.
- Once your face is analysed and Windows can recognise you, it provides the option to click on Improve Recognition. This allows you to refine facial recognition, particularly useful if you wear glasses. You can then be recognised with and without them.
- Under Windows Hello Face it should say you are set to sign in to Windows with your face.
- Below that is an option: Automatically dismiss the lock screen. If this is set to “on” the lock screen should disappear and you can start working once your face is authenticated. If not press any key or move the mouse and the lock screen should disappear.
- Windows + L key is the keyboard shortcut to lock your computer.